
I was visiting my grandmother, who has an extensive jewelry collection, and together we went through her pieces to satisfy my Something Old or Borrowed. We found these beautiful old earrings. The back is very unusual, it actually has a little screw that tightens to the back of the ear. I was a little hesitant about wearing "screw-on" earrings, but I think they are absolutely stunning and will go perfectly with the dress. Not only did we find my Something Old or Borrowed-- I haven't decided which one I want to use for the tradition, but what was unique about the experience is that she found her wedding and engagement ring (which was very well worn), my grandfather's wedding ring, and my great-grandmother's wedding ring.

I just ordered my wedding dress, which is going to be my Something New. I haven't decided on my Something Blue, although the blue ribbon on my bouquet might be it. Also, I will have to find Something Old or Borrowed depending on how I categorize the earrings.
As an inquisitive mind, I wondered where this tradition came from, and finding out it was British melted my heart having lived in London for six-months. According to theknot.com: This tradition comes from an Old English rhyme ("Something Olde, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, A Sixpence in your Shoe"), and the four objects that the bride adds to her wedding outfit or carries with her on the big day are just good luck charms. Don't stress too much about them -- they are the little tokens of love your mother, sister, other relatives, and attendants will give you at the eleventh hour (although you can give them to yourself, too). Something old represents continuity; something new offers optimism for the future; something borrowed symbolizes borrowed happiness; something blue stands for purity, love, and fidelity; and a sixpence in your shoe is a wish for good fortune and prosperity, although this remains largely a British custom.
Now all I need is either Something Old, Borrowed or Blue. I need some ideas? Please post your comments about what you did to satisfy this age old tradition.
No comments:
Post a Comment