Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pre-Wedding Syndrome

I've discovered a new affliction. It's called Pre-Wedding Syndrome, PWS for short. Similar to Pre-Menstrual Syndrome or PMS, PWS causes the same symptoms: moodiness, bloating, uncontrollable urges to cry, loss of appetite, weight gain, and depressive tendencies. These symptoms are brought on by a number of factors including, but not limited to: obsessive compulsive bridal blog reading, a Martha Stewart attention to detail, a mini veil crisis, not enough sleep, working two jobs stress, and budget worries. It leads to a daily Grande Mocha from Strarbucks addiction, deadly! Thankfully, Chris loves me enough to put-up with this brief moment of insanity!

So, in order to ward-off the affects of this devastating syndrome, I decided to take a little break yesterday and smell the Cherry Blossoms. Spring has sprung in Colorado, and our Cherry Blossom Tree in the backyard is blooming. The flowers don't smell like roses, but the visual is stunning. I snipped a few blossoms and put them in a beautiful earthware bowl on our kitchen table. Here are a few photos I took yesterday of the blossoms.

The stress of wedding, work (both jobs), and life has put me into a really weird funk. I have a million tasks that need to be accomplished in the next month, and not enought time and energy to do them all. I need a moment to breath. Please, tell me I am not alone. Are there any brides that experienced PWS before their wedding? And what were your symptoms?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me so sad. For the love of all that is holy, stop reading Martha Stewart and don't think about or do anything wedding related for a week (or at least a weekend). Read a good book (I would recommend either "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" or "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowell). Go hiking. Cook an Indian dinner. Watch all the Tracy-Hepburn films in 48 hours. Whatever it takes to banish the funk. And then, and only then, should you think about anything having to do with your nuptials. I promise that no one will ever notice if you don't get around to sowing table runners or whatever else it is that is hanging over your head.

Angie said...

I agree with Katie. I think every bride goes through some stress and freakouts, but you have so much time left! Don't get me wrong, I admire your attention to detail and all the thought you put into everything, but don't make yourself crazy. I feel like you have really been enjoying the wedding planning process up until now, so maybe a good break would get you back there.

Melissa said...

Don't worry, you're not alone! I remember biting my fingernails, yelling and crying...and then walking down the aisle and all I saw was my husband. I didn't see the matching napkins, I couldn't taste the food, I didn't remember the dance steps. All I saw was him. Anyhow, don't worry that the wedding has you hostage, you'll be free on the day itself and for the rest of your happily ever after.
The best of luck!
Melissa
www.melissasmitten.blogspot.com